Friday, January 1, 2016

One Little Word and Goals for 2016

Happy New Years!  For the last six years, I've picked a word and goals for the upcoming year.  I find that blogging about them and keeping track each month has helped me hold myself more accountable.  I also feel like I achieve a lot more that way too.

I know I haven't blogged in forever.  I've actually been crafty this last month, but with moving, the holidays, and Catherine's wedding, I just haven't had time to keep up with everything.  Over the next few days I hope to share more!

Last year, I chose the word {explore}.  I think I did okay with my word, lol.  I joined a few mom groups and while we enjoy it, I still haven't found a close group that I click with. (Aside from my close friends in Portland already.)  I know it takes time to create that bond...so we keep going.  I've gotten to eat at a lot of cool places and attend some neat events.  Though I've chosen a new word for 2016, I hope to carry this one with me into the new year.  And now that I have my craft stuff out of storage, I'm also hoping to meet some new crafty friends.

I was contemplating on a few different words.  Surround.  Enfold.  Passion.  Roots.  But I finally decided on {encompass}.  It means: to form a circle about; encircle; surround.  I want to spend this next year focusing on and surrounding myself with the people and things that I'm most passionate about. 

My list of words:
2016 Encompass
2015 Explore
2014 Accept
2013 Expand
2012 Sparkle
2011 Balance
2010 Strive
My word and my goals weave in and out of each other, so this post is going to be mashed together.  Normally, I set goals for myself, work, and Sparkle Creations.  With us living with my inlaws this last year, I never reopened my store.  I also want to focus on my graduate program this year (will share more later), so while I will reopen at some point, I won't be creating new stamps any time soon.  I'm not giving up on or closing Sparkle Creations, but for now, my corporate career has become my front priority.  And honestly, I'm really okay with that.  While crafting is a passion, I do love my career and the line of work that I do.  I still have many years until I retire and I want so much more for my professional career.  With supporting Boston's future in mind, my priorities had to shift. 

This is what I want to focus on this year:
  • My friends
  • Crafting
  • Couponing
  • Going back to school
One of my best friends from college lives in Portland and we see each other regularly. :)  I love that Shannon and I have been able to spend more time with each other this last year.  I'm also pretty good about staying in touch with my online crafty friends.  I would like to make an effort to see my Seattle crafty friends more and dedicate a little more time to my close friends who live further away. 

I'm still working on making new Portland friends.  Like I said earlier, I know this takes time...but I feel like I left my village in Seattle and I don't have one here (aside from my family and Shannon).

Thanks to my friend Thanh, lol, I have jumped on the planner bandwagon.  (I have a whole other post on this.)  But this has been a great starting point for me to get back into crafting.  With Brent and I still having way different schedules, I think this will help keep us on track.  I also want to be making a few cards and start blogging regularly again. 

This last year, we've pretty much used up our stockpile.  I haven't really been couponing, except for things I buy for Boston.  Now that I have more bills to pay again, I would love to save as much as I can.  I'm sure it won't take me long to get back into the swing of things.

Due to us moving so late in the year, I decided it would be best for us to wait until we were settled in our new house before I started school.  I plan to start this fall, so that will still be my main goal and focus for the year. 

As I am still getting settled into my new home, I look forward to jumping into the new year!  Hope you all have a fabulous day!



5 comments:

  1. I'm always interested in what you are doing, Sparkle. Congratulations on the move. I hope this year encompasses all that you hope it will. I know with your dedication and tenacity you will achieve all your goals! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Sparkle :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year, Twinsie! <3 Love that we are on this planning journey together now. xo Always love reading about your goals and I know that together, we'll hold each other accountable and work through it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fab, .... I have become slightly planner obsessed .. Thanks for your inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals, and I like the "one little word" you chose. I think I should do that! It would be a great year-long goal. And I REALLY hope you can visit you Seattle crafty friends!! We miss you! <3

    Best of luck and happiness to encompass your world this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks