Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My Latest Obsession - Jamberry Nails!

My friend +Jenn Royal became a Jamberry consultant recently and I decided I would help support her launch party and try these out. I am writing this post because I {wanted} to share my fun and excitement, so don't worry, I'm not trying to solicit for anything.  But, if you do want to try them out or buy some, this is the link to her site.  She also set up a Facebook group, so if you'd like to be invited, you can send a request to get added. 

I've been seeing things about Jamberry all over Facebook for awhile now. If you don't know what Jamberry is, it's a direct sales company that sells vinyl nail stickers that adhere to your nail through heat.  

This is my current jamicure right now.

I've always had a passion for doing my nails, getting my nails done, and I especially love having acrylics. As a teen, I changed my nail polish about every 3 days. I remember my dad grumbling, because my bathroom always smelt like nail polish remover, lol. 

Though it's really, really bad for your nails...nothing sounds better to my ears then the 'click, click' acrylic nails make together!  While saving to purchase our house, I gave up going to Starbucks everyday and getting my nails done every other week. Now, I only go to Starbucks on the weekends (or on vacation) and I typically only get my nails done for major events. Like a wedding or attending my annual Manager's Conference for my day job. 

I will admit I was a bit skeptical about the Jamberry nail wraps at first. I did some searching on Google, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram on top of what I'd already seen on Facebook. Since I'm so uncomfortable...I sadly don't really sleep anymore.  So yes, I fill my restless nights with trying to be productive.

This will vary depending on your nail size, but you should still have enough to do at least 2 manicures and 2 pedicures.
Like everything in life, there's always good and bad reviews. Sorry, but some of the pictures I've seen looked pretty tacky...and then there were others that looked awesome.  In the end, I realized just with any beauty or nail product, it depends how much of a perfectionist (or skilled)  you are, lol.

A Jamberry nail sheet comes with 18 nail strips. Depending on your nail size, the largest ones will fit your big toes. As you get to the smaller sizes, those will typically fit your fingers. The nail wraps shouldn't touch your skin or cuticles, or they won't adhere properly. It's best to have the wrap be a tiny bit smaller than your actual nail. If none of the nail strips fits the size of your finger, you can cut one of the bigger ones down to fit your nail. 

This is the best way to get the exact shape of your nail.  I placed the tape on the front side though, to get a true fit.


While cutting the nail wraps, I realized I have really wide nail beds!  I was pretty wasteful with my first application, but now that I know what I'm doing, I know how to save more of my wraps since my nails are pretty short. To make it easier for me to remember which size fits which finger, I took some washi tape and wrote which finger size it belonged to on the back of the plastic sheet. Save your bits and pieces so you can do your toes or an accent nail later with them! 
I used washi tape on the back to label which strip fits which finger.

In general, I craft or do my nails while watching TV, so I did my first jamicure while watching Misstresses. Doing my right hand was more challenging, but it's one of those things where I'll get better at it with practice. To make things easier, I did do all my cutting at one time and did as much prepping as I could, so I could minimize the amount I had to use my left hand.


This was my first jamicure that I did to test them out.

Here is the official Jamberry application YouTube video and they sell a little heater, but you can use a blow dryer, space heater, or a heat gun instead. I wouldn't really recommend using a heat gun unless you have a low heat one, like the Tim Holtz one.  But I didn't end up using any of the above!  Since I didn't apply them traditionally, I can't really comment on how this process works. 

I found this YouTube video where the lady uses a rice bag and heat from her flat iron. I decided to go this route because I already have these things and it wouldn't be noisy.  I also used what they call the baggie technique. You place a plastic sandwich bag over your jam/nail before you place the heat from the rice bag on your jam/nail. It helps to place heat evenly over your nail. My jams went on nicely and I have no complaints with this application process!


This was my second jamicure.

I found this YouTube video that uses hairspray as a trick to get them to stay on longer. I don't recommend sticking your nail on an iron like she does in the video though!!  Online, I also read that some use nail glue at the tips...and that some have even put clear gel polish over them. I wanted to see how long they would last naturally for me, but after a week I got bored and wanted to switch up my nails. I think overall though, they would of lasted at least two weeks. Normally my nails don't grow that quickly, but I'm still on my prenatal vitamins. :)

The only thing negative thing I have to say is that my right index finger tip has started to lift each time after a few days. I must use this finger much more and I have never noticed until now, lol. For my next jamicure, I will probably try the hairspray trick and see if that really helps seal the tips. 
This is what I plan to put on my nails for 4th of July.

Overall though, I've been quite impressed with them. They're $15 a sheet, but each sheet is good for at least 2 manicures and 2 pedicures.  So, that's really only about $3.75 an application. They're always Buy 3, Get 1 Free, so if you do that deal, it's really only $11.25 a sheet and $2.81 an application.

If you're not really into patterns, they do sell solid colors too. So don't think you're stuck with crazy and fun nail pattern choices!  Jamberry also sells their own lacquer which can also be used with their nail wraps. As I'm a sucker for all 'sparkle' things, I'm excited to use these fun jams for the 4th of July. It might be the last time I get to do my nails before I go into labor!

.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard of these the other day. Your nails look super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks