Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One Little Word for 2014

For the last four years, I've picked a word and goals for the upcoming year. This year is no different, except I haven't quite decided on my goals yet. I'll probably be back to post my goals in a couple of days. 
 
Recap of 2013:
My word for 2013 was Expand. With that, I wanted to be better at what I was already good at. I wanted to be able to perform and achieve at a higher level.  Though, I haven't talked much about my word, I do feel like I did a great job at doing this. 

I took a Training Certificate program through ASTD (American Society for Training and Development) this last summer and I had a wonderful time. While I was there with my team of trainers, it was fun to meet trainers from different companies all over the country. We all really learned a lot from each other and our class really bonded. It always gets noisy when you have a room full of trainers, lol!

I also decided to go back to school this year, as I mentioned that I want to get my Masters in Education Adult Secondary Learning. Since I create training manuals as my main job task, I started with technical writing and proof editing classes. I've only been taking one class at a time, as I'm still working full time. I'm still a long ways from finishing, but definitely a step on the right direction for me.

I didn't take any Copic classes this year, but I have been also working on switching my color combos up when I color my images.  I plan to continue working on this!

Word for 2014:
For 2014, I've picked Accept for my one little word. 2013 was a year of highs and lows. I work in a changing environment, so I've always been okay with change and flexibility. But sometimes your heart just doesn't match up with your brain, lol. I'm learning to accept that life is just life and that I'm still okay doing less than what I was. As an over achiever, this has been extremely hard for me. 

Of course I had a wonderful year of traveling, seeing friends and family, and striving to do better things. But I also had a good friend move away to Virgina. My best friend finalized her divorce. I wasn't happy with my raise this year. Brent's job position got eliminated. One of my co-worker was diagnosed with breast cancer.  My dad ended up in the hospital with heart problems. And while I got something else I really wanted, I ended up having to give up another great opportunity. I needed to let myself be sad for just a bit, since the timing wasn't what I wanted. 

I'm a true believer in fate and creating your own path. So I know in the end, it was all meant to happen and Brent and I always make the best of what we have.  I look forward to just taking life day by day and continuing this journey.

My list of words:
2014 Accept
2013 Expand
2012 Sparkle
2011 Balance
2010 Strive

I hope you all have a wonderful New Years!  Do you have a word, resolution, or goal for 2014?!?

2 comments:

  1. Great recap of your one little word, Sparkle. I have long admired your ability to encapsulate what your goals are and then work toward achieving them. You have and will continue to achieve most goals you set for yourself. Recognizing that that perhaps one cannot have everything all at the same time is pretty smart, too. Have a wonderful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your word for 2014. We could all probably use this word in our lives. At least I could.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks