Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sketch Saturday #276, Birthday Cake Emily Card and My Canadian Adventure Recap

Good morning all and it's time for another Sketch Saturday!  Come play along with us this week for a chance to win a prize from our sponsor Simon Says Stamp.  The fabulous prize is a $25 gift certificate to the store!


My neighbors celebrated their younger daughter's first birthday last month.  This is the card I made for Hailey.  I couldn't get my image to fit right in my oval Nestabilities, lol, so I finally gave up!  I really need some skinnier oval dies!

I only did a little bit of sewing on my card, but I love how it came out.  I think it really pops out Emily and the scrumpious chocolate cake!  I used brown liquid applique on the cake.  I guess I should of used Ruby instead for the card, but hey, cake - cupcake, close enough! :)


My co-worker Tami got her passport for her birthday last August.  When all the trainers were in town in July, we made spur of the moment decisions to make a trip to Vancouver, BC.  I also lucked out that the weekend we planned to go up was the same weekend my friend +Thanh Vo was celebrating her birthday.

Before we even made it to the border, we stopped at Dorinda's house to visit her.  Though it was quite a chunk out of our trip, it was great to see her before she started her chemo treatments.  I think seeing Matt and Tami really lifted her spirits.  And she has the cutest and charming house ever!

It isn't normal to stamp your USA passport to get into Canada, but since this was Tami's first time out of the country, we needed a stamp to celebrate this fun moment.  I was nervous to ask...and though the border guard didn't really say anything, I appreciate that they took the time to stamp them for us.  I know they were thinking..."that stupid American who wants their passport stamped," lol.


I'm quite happy to have one now though, as no one else seems to have one, lol...oh how novelty things are to us Americans. :)  Our first stop that night was dinner at Guu.  We were going to go to the Night Market, but it was raining...and that's no fun in the rain!  So we settled for sushi instead!!

We started our day off early in Gastown.  It's such a darling part of Vancouver and for you Once Upon a Time fans, they've done some filming there!  We showed Tami and Steam Clock and here's us with Gassy Jack. 


We walked around the Sea Wall a bit and then headed to English bay.  As we were walking through, we found these silly statues and thought we would take a few pictures.  Over all, I just had to laugh as Tami is taking great scenic pictures...and I'm taking silly pictures of Matt.  I suppose I come here too often, lol.  I counted...since the Winter Olympics in 2010, I've gone to Vancouver 9 times.


Tami has been asking me to take her to a good Ramen place for awhile.  Our co-worker Lewis recommended this place, Santouka Ramen.  Be warned...there's always a line...but so worth the wait!!  It was delicious...and randomly, we even ran into Lewis while we were there.  What are the odds we'd see another co-worker in another country?!?


We took the ferry around town and went to Science World.  I was fortunate to have my parents take me to Expo '86 (I was 4) and that's the last time I've been to Science World.  We could hear the radio traffic between the ferry drivers and they were pure entertainment, lol. 


At one of the exhibits in Science World, we were to squish ourselves into this tiny box.  Matt didn't even really try, but we thought the picture would be funny. :)


After Science World, we rode the ferry back to Granville Island.  We walked around the market and then went to the brewery for a couple of drinks.  Then Matt and Tami went to dinner at The Sandbar, while I went to Thanh's birthday party at Whet.

Here's me and Miss Thanh Vo before dinner.  Though I only got to see her for a few hours, its always great to see your friends!  I can't wait to celebrate again with our crafty group of friends!


This weekend is my normal craft day with my craft group.  And I'm also going to play bingo tonight for my neighbor's friend's birthday!  Here's to hoping for a Muckleshoot Moment!  Hope you all have a lovely Saturday!


3 comments:

  1. Love your card Sparkle and how you interpreted the sketch. Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card and it looks like your trip was wonderful! Hope you have a Muckleshoot moment..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card Sparkle and your vacation sounds fantastic!

    Hugs, Vannessa x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks