Friday, March 22, 2013

Uptown Girls Victoria and Juliette's Night Out Birthday Wishes Card and Book Review: Bringing Up Bebe

Today is my friend Katie's 30th birthday.  She lives in Chicago, so I'm not sure what she's doing to celebrate, but I hope she has a fabulous day!  She's a teacher, so I'm sure her class will be darlings! :)  I haven't seen Katie since Christmas, but she does plan on visiting this summer, so it will be great to see her then.


We're college friends and sorority sisters, so it's always fun to catch up with her when she comes to town.  When I'd go to Chicago for Summer CHA, I'd go a visit her there too.  Though I'm happy to go to Vegas this summer, I was a little bummed not to be going to Chicago and visiting Katie.  Here's the inside of my card.


Even though I won't read all 13 books on my bookshelf before my birthday, I've been reading like crazy to get as close as I can, lol.  Though I'm not a Mother yet, I've heard great things about this book and I really enjoyed it.


It's about an American lady who moves to Paris with her English husband.  While living there, she has 3 children and this is her story of raising them and learning the French ways.  Before I praise the French about some things, I want everyone to remember that I'm proud to be an American and proud to have the rights that I do.

I'm not sure what kind of taxes people pay in France, but they get awesome daycare benefits.  It's certified people taking care of their children in centers that are paid by the government. They make it so much easier for parents to go back to work and I do wish the US did have better options that don't cost an arm and a leg.  When Brent and I do have children, we'll be paying a lot for daycare. :(

My dad is from Laos, which was colonized by the French.  My dad did all of his schooling in French until he came to the United States.  Bliatout is even a French name, lol.  While reading this book, I realized I was raised this way...and didn't even know it. :)



I'm not really sure if my parents didn't pick me every time I cried as a baby, to see if I would just fall asleep again, but the other core values I can vouch for.  French people give their babies formula much more than breast feeding.  None of my siblings or I were breast fed, so I'm totally for formula.

They believe that even babies still need a little bit of alone time.  My mom always told me that I loved to cut out shapes from a young age.  She would leave me with a magazine and I would cut for hours.  My craftiness came very early, lol.  My mom said while I was doing this, she could nap, clean, and cook dinner. 

It's really important for French people to greet people.  I always say hi and bye, no matter where I go or leave.  I won't leave a party without saying bye to host or finding my friend, etc.

My parents always just fed me what they were eating, once I could eat solids.  Sure there are things I won't eat, but my brother and I really aren't that picky.  Nor are Michael and Emily.  The French eat 4 meals a day and they all eat on this schedule.  This is the only thing from the book that I disagree on.  I would only eat in bites as a child, so my Mom fed me often.  As an adult today, I eat 5 times a day...and not to be bragging, but I only weigh 98 pounds and I'm healthy.  I think it just depends on the individual and baby. 

They tend to eat a lot of fruit for dessert, and my dad has done this everyday of my life.  Even if we eat ice cream/cake or something special for a birthday or holiday, we always still eat fruit with it.  I never thought it was different until my friend Jenn commented one day that every time I ate something sweet, I always ate fruit with it, lol.

I would recommend this book to any to anyone who is a Mom or wants to be a Mom.  Even if you don't agree with it, I think it's always fun to learn about different cultures and what they do.

I hope you all have a lovely Friday!!  It's almost the weekend!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and stylish card. The paper piecing looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is sure cute. I love those newer images. And it sounds like your book was worth reading. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks