Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sweet Treats Emily Card, Sponsoring Sweet Sunday Sketches and Goals for 2012

Sorry for the delay on this post! As I was preparing packages to go to the Post Office yesterday, life got in the way and I never made it back here to finish this all up.  I hope you all rang in the new year joyously and are well and safe!  Crafty stuff first...then personal stuff.

Sparkle Creations is starting off the year by sponsoring Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenges!  I had the pleasure of meeting Karen this last summer in Chicago at CHA, while she was working at the Taylored Expressions booth!  Check out Karen's blog to see the actual sketch and more darling SCRS cards made by their wonderful DT.


Play along with this week's sketch for a chance to win Scooter Chloe and Charlotte with a Rose!  I chose to make a valentine with Sweet Treats Emily.  I couldn't get the sentiment to fit nicely, so I decided to be more artsy and clip it into smaller chunks.  I like how it turned out.


Okay, now for the personal stuff.  Here are my new goals for 2012.  I have 3 different categories: my day job, Sparkle Creations, and my personal/crafty goals.  For those who don't know me well, I create training manuals for all the financial products, with state/province lending and price laws.  I am also a trainer, so sometimes I do get out of my office and get to teach a class or two.  I think that teaching in my day job has made me not want to teach for my crafty job, lol.  But I am really trying to get out of that.


Work
  • Assistant Manager Workshop
  • Vault Teller Training - Canadian
  • Technical Writing Class
This coming year, I'll be working on 2 very large projects.  The Assistant Manager Workshop is a brand new class that is still in development.  I started putting the materials together for this class back in 2010 and it sat on hold for most of 2011.  I am very excited to get back to this project and to come full circle with it.  This project will most likely take me 18 months to finish, so don't freak out on this one, lol.

Next, I will be converting our Vault Teller manual into a Canadian version.  I know our fellow friends across the border will greatly appreciate it!  This will be more of a tedious job, as it's all of our store regulations and operations.  And different countries defiantly abide by different rules!

I will also be going back to school to this year to take a few writing classes.  Because of my work schedule, I will most likely be taking these classes online.  I'm still working on beefing up my Photoshop skills in CS5.

2011 Recap: I failed miserably at my work goals last year, though workload wise, I got a ton of updates, products, and manuals done.  It was a chaotic year.  I lost my bestie employee.  I had to train and help the person who replaced them.  My department merged and went from 7 employees to 15 employees.  Growing pains suck!  I got promoted (which was good), but with that my responsibilities went up.  Our Q3 was the craziest time I've ever had in my whole day job career!  I worked 11 hour days for over a month straight.  I hope for a more balanced 2012, lol. 

Sparkle Creations
  • Get new wholesale accounts
  • Add third stamp line to the store
  • Sales goal for each month - January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
  • More efficient in costs
  • Teach card classes
I'm finally at a point where growth is the next step for Sparkle Creations.  I truly hope to do this full time someday, so I'm going to try really hard to put as much time and effort into this as I possibly can.  By exhibiting at CHA this year, I hope to gain new wholesale accounts.  I also hope to widen my audience and get more new customers.

I've been actively trying to get a third line of stamps into the store.  I had some things fall through, so while I had hoped for it to be a Q1 goal, it may end up being much later into the year.

I really want to work on my finances this year.  I was a Business major in college...and I've always been good/smart with my money.  But since I'm not a large business and I don't order in really high quantities, I still end up paying quite a bit of money for stuff.  This goal will also run into my personal life, but as far for SCRS, I'm going to be trying really hard to profit this year.

I hope to start teaching card classes and doing card kits.  I'm sure I'll be more inspired to do this once I get back from Winter CHA.

2011 Recap: I made my sales goal every month!  There were a couple of months when I didn't think I would and orders would come in on the last day!  I can't thank my customer's enough for all the love and support you all have given me.  I was also able to attend both CHA's and take my Copic certification class.  I feel like I accomplished the baby steps for SCRS and really want to get to the next level in 2012.

Personal
  • Take Yoga classes
  • More efficient in costs
  • Do mini books for my Project Life
  • Utilize my iPhone
  • Visit my mom's grave
I've been wanting to try bikram yoga forever and I just haven't because of the time and cost.  Brent and I already belong to a fitness club.  It's kindof a hole in the wall if you compare it to other gyms, but we only paid $200 to join initially and now pay $15 a month for the two of us.  It works out great for us, since we like to do cardio and weights on our own.  Besides college, I've never been a fan of workout classes.  But, I think I will start doing yoga once a week and see how I like it...

Like I said earlier, Brent and I are going to try to be more frugal this year.  I feel like this is the first step we need to make towards me working SCRS full time a reality.  I was able to get a Groupon for the local paper and will start couponing.  We'll be re-evaluating our insurance costs and our cable costs.  We pay a ton for cable...but what we pay to have sport channels is cheaper than what I spend on craft supplies...so I've never fought this with him.  It was actually his idea and through this last year, I've brought my spending way down.  Besides my after Christmas sale binge, I really only buy new 6x6 paper now.  (That is the plus to already owning a ton of stuff, lol.)

As you saw in my post yesterday...I want to use up my paper/film that's been sitting in my craft room since Christmas 2010.  I don't take pictures every day, but I hope to at least weekly and obviously more when I'm actually doing things.  If I fail at anything in this category, it will be this one, lol.

I need to learn to utilize my phone to it's fullest.  The calendars drive me crazy!  Everytime I sync my phone, I get duplicates or I lose stuff.  User error?  Maybe, lol.  I can't take not grainy picture of myself with the camera reversed.  I think I need to do a bit more research.  I've always had an iPod, so I'm not Apple illiterate, lol.  Just still getting use to my first smart phone. 

I want to visit my mom's grave this year.  I wish I could go more often, but traveling to Hawaii is just so expensive.  Food, hotel, anything there is costly.  I really wanted to go for my 30th birthday, but we're going in August instead.  Unfortunately, we can't go in April since we're going to Cabo with Brent's family the week after my birthday.  It wasn't really ideal...but at least I'm going to 2 warm places next year. :)  My mom is buried on the Big Island, so we'll go there for a couple of days.  I still haven't made up my mind yet about the rest of our trip, lol...but I do know that I don't want to stay in Hilo the whole time we're there.

2011 Recap: I love my Canon, but now I feel stupid when I try to use an easier camera, lol.  It's like I can't use Paint now that I know how to use Photoshop!  I hope to keep taking pictures, but using ALL of my cameras.  My Canon, iPhone, and my point and shoot.  I had a wonderful time seeing my best friend and celebrating Brent's birthday.  The only thing I failed at this year were making enough Christmas cards...but I'll be working on that too for 2012.

All right...if you made it through all that, I hope you're enjoying the start to this new year!  It's actually quite sunny today here in Seattle and I'm loving it!  It'll be a lazy night for Brent and I tonight and we're having friends over tomorrow for the Rose Bowl.  As you all know, Brent is a Duck Alum, so of course we'll be rooting for Oregon.  Everyone have a lovely Sunday!


14 comments:

  1. Sparkle this is gorgeous, beautiful image. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Card. I love the mono cole scheme I am hoping to play along this week. I also love you adding your goals... All around. Looking forward to meeting you at the PJ crop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the mix of patterns with sweet Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card!!!
    Hope all your plans workout perfectly and SCRS grows more and more. Third stamps style will be awesome! Good luck with 2012.
    Hugs~
    Piali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous card...love reading your goals. Good Luck to you...I know that you will accomplish all that you want:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! I love the way you did the sentiment. :) And I enjoyed reading your new goals and your recaps. Best of luck to you with everything, but especially with SCRS!! (and btw... if you're going to coupon, you need to read "Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey". It will change your life, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute card...and great goals...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, Sparkle!! LOVE her sparkly apron and that paper is too cute! I loved working with your stamps this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will complete what you set your mind to, Sparkle! I wish you all the best in your endeavors for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful card, Sparkle! so cute! and wow! you are crazy busy, girl. i don't know how you managed it, but all the best to you for 2012 and hope all goes as planned/wished! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHat a beautiful card--LOVE that image!! LOVE your papers and that flower too!! FAB JOB!

    As for your goals--wow! It was wonderful getting to know you more through reading your goals/this post. LOVE that you are going to start couponing/etc. I did that last year--it's fun!

    Good luck on all your goals! Happy NEW Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very beautiful card! good luck with all your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable card! Love reading all your goals for the year, I know that you will do wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks