Saturday, January 7, 2012

Couponing and Book Review: Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey

Right now I'm currently reading 'Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.'  This is one of my $2 Borders buy from when they were clearancing out their books.  I absolutely love it and this is actually a book I will keep in my collection.  I will share later why and how it means so much to me.  I normally hate reading more than one book at a time.  But since I mentioned that I was going to start couponing, my friend Shaela recommended this book to me.

I took a break and tackled this, since my first edition of the newspaper will be arriving soon.  The Kindle version was only $3.99...so I downloaded it to my iPhone. :)  It's really repetitive, but that was the only thing that bothered me about it, lol.  Overall, its a great source to read if you're new to this and don't fully understand all the ins and outs.

I can 'loan' this book out for 14 days if you have a Kindle or the Kindle app for your phone or tablet.  Let me know if you want to borrow it! If there's a few of you, I'll start a list.


They have an active blog, thekrazycouponlady, if you want to check it out.  After reading this and their blog, I realize I won't be getting the full potential of all the savings I could.  But I'm okay with that.  I mean, how much food can Brent and I really eat?  I'll still stockpile, but do Brent and I really need 20 tubes of toothpaste, lol?!?  I also found this blog, Coupon Mom.  It's free to join her site and I find that her coupon match ups are easier to read. 

I only signed up for 1 copy of the Seattle Times and they recommend that you have 4-6 copies.  I can print online coupons and if I really want more of something, I'm okay just buying them on eBay.  Buying multiple copies of the newspaper isn't worth the cost for just Brent and I.  If we have children, I might change my mind later on.

In the book, they share that one of the husbands couldn't give up a brand of toilet paper, so they would spend the money to buy it.  But the rest of the family used the cheap/free stuff, lol.  I've always been pretty loyal to my favorite brands, but I am slowly letting that go.  Unfortunately for me, there will be more than 1 thing that I can't give up on for specific brand names. But regardless, we will still see savings, so that's all that really matters. 
  • Kerastase hair products
  • Bare Minerals and Clinique make-up
  • Bath and Body Works soap and lotion
  • Tide laundry detergent
  • Starbucks drip coffee
My hair, make-up, and B&BW soap are things that I know I pay for.  I figure out how much I spend and average it for the year.  I have a separate account for these things and on every payday, a certain amount goes into it.  Once it's time to get my hair done, the money is already there in my account and ready to go! I save for Christmas and birthday gifts this way too.  


So, I tested out my new skills yesterday and I think I did pretty good.  I wanted to go to Safeway and Walmart, but since traffic was bad and I had something to do at 8pm, I only got to Walmart.  I was able to buy all this for $0.77 including sales tax...bringing my savings to 82%.  What I saved pretty much paid for the book.  PS...I work and live close to many shopping places, so it's not really out of my way to go to Walmart for 3 things. :)

All right, I'll be back with something crafty tomorrow!  Off to Safeway to get some soup and Jamba Juice! 

 

6 comments:

  1. $0.77? excellent...I'm horrible with coupons...clip them...and either forget them in my car or in my purse...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your couponing, Sparkle. I have tried a couple of times, but fizzled out quickly. The first trip of yours sounds pretty productive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you, I have those few things that I'm (we're) loyal to the Brand Name. I've always coupon shopped but never like the extreme couponing you're seeing on tv or even looking at sales adds and matching up my coupons. I'm one of those if I need it and have a coupon, bonus...and no stockpile for this household, lol. I'd love to learn to save a bit more so thank-you for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! I LOVE to coupon--I just wish I had more time! I will have to check out this book--and that website! LOOOOOOOVE that you got all of that for 77 cents! YOU ROCK! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, good for you! :) I have a few favorite brands that I buy for myself and make everyone else use whatever I can coupon, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the "Mennonite.." book, it made me LOL all the way through, as I was raised in that religion, but haven't been a part of it for over 20 years, but could see so many of my relatives (who I love dearly) in it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks