Friday, November 4, 2011

Copic Intermedidate Class Recap

I really enjoyed the Copic Intermediate Class.  I wish that most of us crafters could just start with this class!  Overall, I learned quite a bit and really thought it was worth the course. 

There were only 12 of us in this class, and I found it quite odd that only a few of us brought our markers with us.  Even in my beginners class, everyone brought their markers.  If you want full range to work with the different color combos and techniques, I do recommend that you bring your markers with you.

With the class, we got:
  • Opaque White
  • roll of  Xpress It tape
  • picture portfolio
  • 72 marker wallet
  • light source guides
I was actually really excited about getting some of these things.  I've been wanting to try the opaque white for awhile.  I am also excited to have a larger Copic wallet to travel with.  With all my trips in 2012, it'll be nice to have 72 markers with me instead of 36. 

The things I found challenging:
  • coloring on Xpress It paper, I normally color on Papertrey Ink Paper
  • coloring light to dark, I normally color dark to light
  • I color slow...so I wasn't able to color as much as others did in class
It was really hard to make myself color light to dark.  But now that I've learned what Sherrie was trying to teach, I can apply it my normal way of coloring.  Yes, I'm total rule breaker, but that's just what works best for me.

On this sheet of images that Marianne drew, we did different techniques on the trees.  I need to learn to use more of my lightest color.  I'm also a really neat person, so it's hard for me to just scribble.  But after doing a few, I like how some of my trees turned out.


My favorite thing that I colored from the whole day was my Santa.  We used the light source guide with this and I love how he turned out. 


Radial light was probably the technique I got and applied the best in class.  The main light source is the candle and the light radiates from there.  I can't wait to apply this to my own images, as Cupcake Ruby and Caroling Josh both have candles in them.



For depth, we should be using a range of colors in different values.  Whatever color you pick as your base, you should be picking your mid tone to be about 12 numbers higher.  So here you can see that I used RV00, 13, and 23. 


There was a section on skin and hair.  I concentrated more on the skin, since I'm more open to using different colors for hair.  The color combos they gave us were E15, E11, and E50, then E11, E00, and BV00.  I felt like adding the BV00 looked slightly like bruised skin.  The black hair did tone it down though.

The last thing we colored in class was this picture of lilac.  Overall, I like how it turned out, but it really could use more of the highlight color where it should be the lightest.



The only part of the class that I thought was boring was the Composition section.  I already know and understand all of those basics, but it did give me an opportunity to color more and try to catch up.

Well, I hope you all have a great Friday!  It's almost the weekend!  I'll be getting my hair and nails done!

11 comments:

  1. Lucky you attending intermediate! Here in Australia you can only attend certification if you are teaching classes in a store - to support stores sales through classes I assume (also known to defeat competition from online stores when you can only learn from your pen seller).

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh...thanks so much for sharing! Have a super weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how awesome that you took the Intermediate class Sparkle! I would be the one in the corner with the dunce cap on, since I color dark to light as well. Doesn't it just seem to blend better? Oh well, this is why I'm not certified. lol! Love all the different light sources, can't wait to see what you do with your own candle images!! Enjoy your pampering today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks loads for sharing. I appreciate your honest assessment of the things you do.

    Enjoy your pamper time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it was a good class and I'm glad you took some good things with it. Your coloring has always been beautiful.

    Enjoy the pampering this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you weren't excited about getting tape! LMBO It was a great class, and I agree that it would be a better starter class for us paper crafters. Overall it was a wonderful class, and I learned that I don't like purple skin! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great synopsis! If I can ever talk myself into throwing away the money for the first class I'll definitely take this one, haha. Great samples, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, these look Great! thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recap - I'm curious about the intermediate class and I think that if they offered one near me, I'd try and go. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great post!! Makes me want to sign up forthe class more!! Thanks forthe re-cap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad that you are enjoying your Copic classes, Sparkle!
    Your last picture of lilacs is gorgeous! Your coloring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks