Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy Holidays Daisyboardabella Card and How I Take Photographs

I have a secret confession...this is my favorite winter Bella stamp.  I don't like snow...coldness...or snowboarding, lol.  But I just {heart} Miss Daisyboard.  I was feeling festive when I made her and went with traditional red and green.

Paper: Memory Box Tinsel
Stamps: Stamping Bella, sentiment is Impress
MS Border Punch, Copics, Snowflake Punch, Crystal Stickles, Rhinestones, and BG Brads

People always ask how I take great photos.  My secret...I have fabulous Photoshop skills.  No joke.  I'm really not that great at photography and I will show you my ghetto setup, lol. 

First off...I only have a Sony Cybershot that Brent bought me for my birthday years ago.  So yeah, not a great camera, lol.  Since this is my 5 year anniversary with Moneytree and I will be getting a service award bonus, I actually plan on buying a Cannon Rebel XSi.  :)


Second off, this is what my craft desk looks like...pardon my mess.  Yes, I painted my wall green this last summer.  Once I finish putting my room together, I will post pictures.  As you can see, my set up consists on 2 Amuse tins that are filled with Copics, a cheap lamp I bought at Target, 2 pieces of cardstock, and 1 small jar, which you can't see because it's behind my card.


Here is a close up of how I actually take my photo. It still looks pretty sad, eh?  I typically crop and size down my pictures to about 480 x 550 pixels or so. 

Once I open the file in Photoshop, I usually do the Auto setting for tone and color.  Then I bump up the Brightness til the white paper in the background looks white.  I always use the Sharpen tool so you can see the glitter better.  Then I Feather the edges and add my watermark.  If my picture is crooked, I usually tilt it til it looks straight. 


For my day job, we use CS4, so that is the version of Photoshop that I am using.  I bought Elements for my home desktop and I don't like it as much -- but I think it's just because I'm used to having all the features, lol.  If you actually want to know how to edit in PS, let me know and I'll see what I can do. 

Everyone have a fabulous Thursday!  Grey's and Private Practice are on tonight!

28 comments:

  1. A fab fab card Sparkle! Your X'mas cards are really spectacular! :)

    P/s: I edit in PS too... but I take pics in daylight because I can't throw too much light on the photos on the layout..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute card. I like the color combo.

    Thanks for the tips about the photography. I have a similar set up but I still can't get really crisp photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute card!!! Thanks for sharing some tips again on how you take pics. I usually like mine in natural light but it's nice to see how others do it -- and I do like how yours turn out. I edit my pics on flickr though it's just cropping, sharpening, turning up the colors. My friends have the Canon rebel cam you're talking about, and they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing us how you photograph your cards.

    it would be very nice if you can also share how you works with ps :)

    very nice card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG you are too cute. LOVE the card, Love the 'ghetto' setup (even though it's not, LOL!) and your pink camera? LOVE that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't love the cold, or snow, or snowboarding either, but I LOVE this Bella too! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is adorable! I live in the snow and ice and cold and I don't like it either, I'm just dreading the start of it again!
    I have a simillar photo set up, now if only I had the mad computer skills you do... Any tips will help! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute card. I love this image as well.

    Thanks for the tips on how you take photos of your cards. I wish I had Photoshop and/or knew how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your card!! This stamp is on my "Christmas image wish list", haha. There are a few Bellas that I want to add to my stash and just haven't got around to it. Did you ever order those last few new ones? Maybe we can go in on an order and save us some shipping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is super cute Sparkle! Daisyboardabella is adorable in every way!
    Thanks for all of the photo tips!
    hugs
    Risa:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful card Sparks, love the bella...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check you out...a traditional colored holiday card..love it...haha...your set up is not ghetto..I gotta jump on the PS bandwagon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your photo editing tips and how you take pictures. I, too, edit in PS. What kind of lightbulb is that on your lamp?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable card! Thank you for sharing your photoshop secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome card! thanks for sharing how you take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute card, Sparkle! Thanks for the photo tips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the card and thanks for the tips on how you take your pictures! I need to find a good way to do that too. have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This card is most definitely festive and gearing up for the cold, Love it! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this bella too. Great card with lovely DP !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Antoehr fab card, Sparkle! You do have great PS skills, Sparkle! I am not good with PS at all! I think I have CS2 only...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the card! I really should add this stamp to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great card! Thanks for sharing your photo tips and PS tips!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha! Kinda looks like my setup, except I use an Ott light. Love the card!

    <3 Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really pretty card! Thanks for the info on your photography process! It is kind of my set up and process, except I use an Ott light and I don't know how to do the feathering or watermark! (I only have Elements, though, so I don't know if it's a possibility for me!) :-)Traci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Love, Sparks